WWC and Question of the Week

November 6, 2006

This was the question asked of eight “people on the street” for print in Sunday morning’s Post-Tribune:

The midterm elections this week have plenty of drama; what races or outcomes are you paying close attention to?

  • “None of the above, because not one race interests me and they all talk a good game.”
  • “The Porter County sheriff election of Susan Restau and David Lain.”
  • “None. But what gets me is all the negative ads.”
  • “None, because I do not have time and I do not vote.”
  • “Do not really pay attention, but heard the comments that John Kerry said.”
  • “Trying to see who the Democrats will bring in – Obama or Hillary. That’s the one I’m watching.”
  • “None of them because I personally believe they are going to do what they want anyway.”
  • “None of them…too busy to be concerned.”

Six out of the eight people in this albeit informal poll had no interest. Zip, zilch, zero. That’s 75%. Of the remaining 25% that showed any interest at all, one is looking at a local election and the other is looking two years down the pike.

What in the heck is up with that?!!

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Ephemeral and Enduring. This probably was not what he had in mind, but this is where my head is right now…

Although some may see Tuesday’s election as ephemeral, the results of our action – or inaction – are enduring.

These sites are great resources to find out about where candidates stand on issues and their past voting records, among other bits of information. You can even search by zip code.

Vote-Smart.org Project Vote Smart

OnTheIssues.org Every Political Leader on Every Issue

GovTrack.us Independently Tracking the United States Congress

This site will give you information for voting and poll locations for your area:

ElectionImpact.Votenet.com Election Protection 365 – People for the American Way Foundation

Advertisements

7 Responses to “WWC and Question of the Week”

  1. Jay Says:

    Those are some very useful links. I hope people are taking advantage of them.

  2. graymama Says:

    Great way to say the words! I have linked to your post so others can check out these helpful links 🙂

  3. Maya's Granny Says:

    If the people who don’t pay attention were the only ones to be affected by the results of that lack of attention, I wouldn’t mind so much. The problem is that my grandchild is also going to be paying off this debt, my loved ones are also going to live with the curtailed freedoms that result from people just not knowing what is going on.

  4. Betty Says:

    Great links! I’m feeling a little edgy about the election, but I think that’s normal for me. I know a few people who never vote and I have to bite my tongue to keep from lecturing them, again. We will be driving people to the polls, if they need it, although last time, some little old lady called and we drove to the next town to take her to the polls and on the way, she said, “I’m not voting Democratic. Is that all
    right?” I so wanted to say, “Of COURSE it’s not all right! Now, you get your wrinkled old arse in there and vote Democratic, or you can thumb a ride home.” But, I didn’t. I was gracious, smiling, and I thought my head was going to explode.

  5. gawilli Says:

    Jay – they were useful to me. I hope people take advantage of them also. There are lots of people lurking so just maybe…

    Graymama – great clip on your site! Thanks for the link.

    Maya’s Granny – You present another very thoughtful look at the residual of an election gone awry. In this day and age there is no reason to be uninformed.

    Betty! I am not quite as gracious as you. If they have the guts to tell me they don’t vote…well then they can listen to me for a bit. It is just too important to let it slide. Hauling someone the next town over to vote is really doing your civic duty! Republican no less!

  6. debi Says:

    I am proud and ashamed to say that this is the first year I have bothered to vote in state elections. We just drag our butts down to the polls every 4 years.I think this is the first time I have felt so strongly about getting a certain party OUT. Also,I have always been busy at home wiping butts and cleaning house and cooking tons of food. I am sorry that its only been in the last several years that I have put down that potato peeler paid any attention to world affairs at all. See you at the polls!

  7. Chelle Y. Says:

    That was a great idea for the Word Challenge this week. It was hard, huh?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: